Friday, 9 January 2015

Gone by Anna Bloom








Gone by Anna Bloom
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was provided with a digital copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

The story takes us through the lives of Bex and Joshua, both leading completely different lives, and yet, unified in the fact that they're both blemished by painful pasts. But that said, I loved the way the author managed to propel the plot forward, ensuring that this is not just a story that deal with emotional baggage, nasty memories and tears, but more importantly, hope, sunshine and laughter. The two protagonists are remarkable, taking their life head on, until pricks or stabs from their pasts haunt them. When destiny brings them together, they each see in the other the reflections of their own anguish and helplessness. Will they both decide to face things together, or does life get too bitter for them, is what the book takes us through.

I loved the characterisation of both Bex and Joshua - Bex is quirky, sarcastic, yet warm and vulnerable. Joshua is witty, boyish, laughing a lot and easy to be with. Kudos to the author for carving these characters out this way, making them very endearing, instead of choosing the stereotyped pitfall that many plots fall prey to, making people with horrid pasts become snarly and unpleasant people. I would have preferred the pace of the book to be a tad faster. But that said, I thoroughly each and every page, with the author doing a great job of setting the scene and helping the reader visualise things.

I definitely recommend this to lovers of romance books.

My rating for this book: 4 stars

View all my reviews

 

 

BLURB:

Rebecca Walters is haunted by past tragedies and the names that people call her. When her parents take her to Cornwall for two weeks and she meets local artist Joshua Adams, Rebecca starts to understand that her future is what she can make it. But when her past secrets start to catch up with her will Rebecca fight to remain the girl she's found or will she run from a past that won't stay Gone.

Excerpt 

“Josh, come on! Don’t be such a girl.”
I grind an elbow into warm sand as I lean up to find out who Josh is, and why he is a girl.
Instantly I feel on edge. There are six guys running down the beach, surf boards under their arms.
I don’t want to talk to anyone, or even be seen by anyone. I was just looking for some peace and quiet.
I should have stayed in my room. That way I can’t hurt anyone and no one can hurt me.
I breathe a sigh of relief as five of the guys dive straight into the sea, completely ignoring my exposed spot on the sand. Then I offer myself a rueful laugh as I realise that these people are used to seeing strangers on a beach. I won’t hold any interest for them, yet. Not until they realise who I am and the rumour mill starts up again. I will be long gone by then.
It’s the bastard thing about Social Media. It’s impossible for people not to find out who you are. No matter how much you might want them not to.
Facebook is the bane of my life. I know I’ve made mistakes. I don’t need status updates about it.
I wonder which label will attach itself to me first?
I’m a girl with lots of labels and I’m not talking about current fashion trends.
Allowing myself a slow exhalation of air I repeat the words that are currently keeping me going. I will be gone soon. Soon enough.
I watch as the six guys splash through the waves. They keep their wetsuits rolled down and give me what would be an arresting eyeful of toned abs, if my eyes weren’t distracted by something else. The sixth one.


AUTHOR Bio and Links:

Anna Bloom is a contemporary romance writer with the sole writing ambition of writing about life as it happens. Dedicated to real characters, real problems and real romance Anna writes tales to stir your heart and head. Combining a busy schedule of looking after two young children, working in a local school and writing swoon worthy romance for Mature Teen readers, she also spends a lot of time imagining kissing hot guys and talking to the voices in her head- all in the name of her art.
@annabloombooks

Enter to win a $50 Amazon GC! A Rafflecopter Giveaway

Book and Author Spotlights