Tuesday, 6 January 2015

Book Review -- My Demonic Ghost: Banished Spirits by Jacinta Maree


My Demonic Ghost (My Demonic Ghost, #1)My Demonic Ghost by Jacinta Maree
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was provided with a digital copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

The story goes that there is a troubled young woman, Rachael, who is burdened with woes much heavier than what someone her age can withstand. When she is forced to travel to Whitehaven, owing to her father's ailment, she discovers that her father is haunted by Lock, a banished spirit. Physically and mentally completely drained, Rachael's father passes away, leaving Rachael all by herself to deal with all the paranormal happenings around her. Lock attaches himself to Rachael to feed from her soul. What begins sourly at first, turns into an unlikely but treasured companionship between Rachael and Lock, but can this suffice in helping them both attain salvation, is what the book takes us through.

I found the storyline interesting, especially because Maree has made a disctinction between spirits who possess the body of victims, and others such as Lock, who feed on the souls of susceptible humans. Lock's characterisation was amusing. Having been banished and being an outcast, he is snappy, rude and nasty to Rachael to begin with, but the reader can soon see through his demeanour and realise that this serves to just hide his fragility and hurt beneath. Rachael comes across as the kind and forgiving foil character, as she forgives even the fact that Lock paved way for her father's death. I am looking forward to the sequels in the series.

My rating for this book: 4 stars

View all my reviews

Book and Author Spotlights