Tuesday, 9 December 2014

The Forgotten by C.Evenfall


The Forgotten by C.Evenfall
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was provided with a digital copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This novella is the third instalment of The Wraith of Carter's Mill series. Having not read the first two before, I had my own apprehensions about how I would relate to the characters and plot in this one. But the world of Shyanne, Melody and Drake took me in completely and I found it to be a pretty engrossing tale.

Shyanne returns to her ancestral home and looks forward to all the goodness and glory that she hopes awaits her in the future. Unfortunately, when her daughter Melody falls ill and turns comatose, nobody but Shyanne is convinced that the problem with her daughter's illness is much more complicated than what modern medicine can comprehend. She also experiences strange dreams, hallucinations and visions to reaffirm her belief. Armed only with the directions from these paranormal elements, she sets out to face the demons of her lineage and save her daughter. Little is she aware that her quest also leads her to uncover some family mysteries. Shyanne's husband Drake, is at his wit's end trying to look for a wife who has gone missing, in search of things that her paranormal voices had brought her to, and trying to keep his head straight with the woes of his eight year old daughter in coma. Do they all manage to keep their sanity in check and save Melody, is what the book takes us through.

The plot of the book was gripping and it was delivered in a brisk pace, keeping the reader's interest alive. I would have loved to read more of the characterisation of Shyanne and Drake in depth, as these two people represent two radically opposite belief systems - with Shyanne being led by the paranormal and Drake being grounded to reality. However, owing to the length of the book, I understand there cannot have been much scope for delving deep into the folds of each character. Overall, this was a superb read.

I recommend this book to lovers of all paranormal genres.

My rating for this book: 4 stars


View all my reviews

Book and Author Spotlights