Wednesday, 17 December 2014

Book Review -- Where Life Takes You by Claudia Y. Burgoa


Where Life Takes You (Life, #1)Where Life Takes You by Claudia Y. Burgoa
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

A digital copy of this book was provided to me in exchange for an honest review.

It's not everyday that one reads a completely heart-warming emotional romance tale. But when does, one needs to talk about it! And talk, I am certainly intending to!.Amongst many books which come with deceptively enticing blurbs and end up disappointing you with the content inside, this book stands out. Despite the fact that book blurb effectively gives out the essence of the book, I opine that it doesn't really do full justice to the stormy and moving tale that it holds inside. This isn't a mere hybrid between a modern take on Cinderella and a childhood romance tale. This book deals with so many emotions at once, it gets overwhelming at times.

Rebecca Trent, the protagonist, easily qualifies to be one of the most overburdened characters I've read about in recent times. Almost nothing has worked her way for as long as she can remember and she has got so used to considering herself a loser, that at times it takes a hard whack on the forehead to wake her up. With an abusive, neglectful and selfish mother, a cruel step-sister, and a frivolous childhood friend and beloved, Becca has had her share of the worst side of fate. When her best friend Dan tries to add warmth to her life, she is blind, deaf and immune to all of his affection and love, consumed completely in self-loathing. Does she manage to look beyond her grief and bruises and see Dan for who he is, is what the book takes us through.

To begin with, I was at times so annoyed with Becca's stubborn refusal to live a life and I was almost tempted to give her a thorough shake and scream "snap out of it!" But the author has managed to carve out a beautiful narrative that takes us through Becca's long and painful life that gets shattered every time she hangs on to something. Seeing a character so broken moved me in many instances beyond what I would admit here. Dan's characterisation came as a whiff of fresh air, and the way the character has been etched makes one long for such a faithful friend for oneself too! Kudos to the author for the skillful characterisation and the gripping narrative. The ending left me completely agape and I can't wait for the sequel now! Burgoa, almost very cruel of you to leave the reader hanging like this! :(

I loved the book, and I am sure all lovers of emotional romance tales would love it too!

My rating for this book: 5 stars

View all my reviews

Book and Author Spotlights