Sunday, 28 December 2014

Book Review -- The Paragraph Ranch by Kay Ellington


The Paragraph RanchThe Paragraph Ranch by Kay Ellington
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A digital copy of this book was provided to me in exchange for an honest review.

The tale revolves round Dee, who is a victim of the classic instance of Murphy's law. On the verge of taking up a fellowship which could give her all that she had been missing in life, she is forced to toss her research aside and head home, when her mom is seriously ill. Not looking forward to going back to her place for various reasons, she is least prepared for what she encounters there.

This drama - romance hybrid is set in Texas. I was apprehensive about the narrative and characters - I presumed I would find myself thrown into a stereotyped Texan world, which I have found more and more rampant these days. I have felt that the stereotyped approach had ruined many nice plots. Thankfully, The Paragraph Ranch is a brilliant take on life in the region - and a very enjoyable one at that. The plot flows ever so naturally and the interaction between the characters brings a smile to the face - Dee's character specifically is endearing. Her bewilderment, perplexity and the subsequent emotional upheaval, at facing warmth and kindness in the place she least expected it, has been brought out very well. I am also thoroughly impressed that this has been authored by two people - the narrative. is so seamless and flows effortlessly. Easily one of the best dual or multi author books I've read. The only point that I wish the authors had focused on was rounding up the sharp edges of the other characters equally well. Especially since Dee's character is so well formed, it highlights the shallowness in the portrayal of the others even more.

I definitely recommend this to lovers of drama and romance.

My rating for this book: 4 stars

View all my reviews

Book and Author Spotlights