Thursday, 25 December 2014

Book Review -- The Last Guardian Rises by Rebecca Trogner


The Last Guardian Rises (The Last Keeper's Daughter, #2)The Last Guardian Rises by Rebecca Trogner
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A digital copy of this book was provided to me in exchange for an honest review.

This is the second book of a series, following The Last Keeper's Daughter. Looking at the reviews of the first one showed me that the series has garnered a fan following of its own. Having not read the first instalment, I was not sure if I would find it easy to relate with the characters in this one. But the author has adopted a crisp and clear narrative style that makes the book a good stand-alone tale. Although there were many references to the first book, they only increased my revolve to read the first one soon, and didn't in anyway put the reader off.

The tale revolves around Kreiger Barnes, the Vampire King, entrusted with the task of taking care of Lily Ayres, an "Other". Lily and Kreiger seem to have felt a lot more than just friendship even in the first book, and the author deals with the different layers of their relationship in this book. When Lucien Black, the dragon sword fielder enters the scene, Lily can't help but get drawn to him. His steely determination to stay out of falling in love, gets more and more dissolved as he finds himself falling for Lily. To add to the challenge, a battle ensues between the right and the wrong. Does Lily choose Lucien or Kreiger, and does goodness emerge victorious over evil, is what the book takes us through.

The author has put in a lot of effort in explaining the characterisation and the philosophies behind the decisions of the characters, and the effort shows through in every word uttered by the characters and in every page of the book. Although the pace drags a bit here and there, a faster pace would have made the book seem rushed. I'm now convinced that I should go back to read book 1 to understand how the author has laid the foundation and premise for the characters.

I definitely recommend this book to lovers of vampire tales.

My rating for this book: 3.5 stars

View all my reviews

Book and Author Spotlights