Thursday, 18 December 2014

Book Review -- Inviting Fire by Emily Kimelman


Inviting FireInviting Fire by Emily Kimelman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A digital copy of this book was provided to me in exchange for an honest review.

This is the first book that I've read in the Sydney Rye series. Taking a look at the reviews of other readers here, I gather that Sydney and Blue have a good fan-following. I gather that "Inviting Fire" starts off where "The Devil's Breath" ended. Having not read the earlier books, I was apprehensive about how I can get on with a completely new set of characters, but the book was interesting just as it was. The book starts with Sydney, amidst her comrades of the Joyful Justice league. She has clear perceptions of what's right and what's not, and she, along with her comrades, fights for what they believe in - justice for all. Her soul companion is Blue, her canine friend. The book takes us through her various confilcts and struggles, how she earns the distrust of her superior, how she finds it hard to fit in and follow authority, and the price she pays for standing her ground.

I absolutely loved the fact that the author didn't make Sydney to be larger than life. She is a down-to-earth human, a great and courageous woman, but is still as human and vulnerable as any of us can be - which makes her particularly endearing. The pace of the book was just right. I can't wait to get my hands on the rest of the books in the series now!

I highly recommend this book to lovers of adventures, emotionally powerful themes and action genres.

My rating for this book: 4 stars

View all my reviews

Book and Author Spotlights