Friday, 19 December 2014

Book Review -- Harbinger by Lee French & Erik Kort


Harbinger (The Greatest Sin #2)Harbinger by Lee French
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was provided with a digital copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This book is the second instalment of the Greatest Sin series. Having not read The Fallen earlier, I was apprehensive of whether I would be able to relate to the plot or the characters in Harbinger. My fears proved pointless, because the book is a good stand-alone piece by itself. Yeah, I do admit that reading through The Fallen would have given me a firmer grip on Chavali's character, but the authors make no mistake in having Harbinger speak for itself in terms of the plot and characters.

The story revolves around Chavali, who is an agent for The Fallen. When another agent Elise goes missing, Chavali is assigned on the mission to bring her back. She encounters Harris, who is set out to rob Chavali and her partner. When Chavali leads him back to The Fallen, Harris ends up becoming an agent for The Fallen too. Portia and Colby are the supporting characters in this tale of adventure and survival. Chavali seems blissfully oblivious to the overtures of Harris and Colby, which is quite amusing to the reader! The plot has many sub-layers - what Chavali encounters in Ket for example - all the misery, deceit, murder and danger. The characters are etched as well as they can be, given the busy and tight plot. There are so many things happenings that there are no pages in the book to room deep thoughts on the characterisation. Although one does get an insight into Chavali and her righteousness, why does Chavali so strongly refrain from getting interested in anyone, could have been dealt with in more detail for instance.

Overall, this was an interesting story and I would recommend this to lovers of fantasy adventures.

My rating for this book: 3.5 stars

View all my reviews

Book and Author Spotlights