Sunday, 21 December 2014

Book Review -- The Faithful by S.M. Freedman


The FaithfulThe Faithful by S.M. Freedman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was provided with a digital copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This is a compelling tale that brings together characters dwelling on emotional trauma with paranormal psychic powers. There are different remarkable characters, which each demand the reader's attention, and the plot wonderfully combines the different threads. We brgin with agent Josh Metcalf, who is ridden with regrets, tragic guilt and haunting memories of all the different abducted children whom he couldn't save. The only common factor he is aware of in the abductions was that all the children had psychic powers. When we encounter Rowan Wilson, a NASA employee, we see someone grappling with all things she has not able to remember. Different spooky happenings around her leave her vaguely reminscent of some mysteries from the past but she is unable to put her finger down on a specific incident. Then there's Sumner, torn apart by cruelties of fate, and seething with anger and avengeful recollections. He is eager to get back at his tormentor, whatever it takes. To complete the picture is I Fidele, who follows a strange doctrine that makes him want to wipe out every single non-psychich from the face of the planet.

I took a while to come to terms with the diversity in characterisation - with such intense traits, they each propelled the story to different levels of interest. I was particularly curious about the reasoning behind the name of the antagonist - I Fidele. The pace of book does full justice to the intricacies in the plot - anything faster would leave the reader bewildered. At times, I have to admit that the plot felt a bit slackening, as if the author was caught in a dilemma as to whether she should work further on the depth of the characters, or move the story forward. Nevertheless, I thoroughly enjoyed the read.

I certainly recommend this book to lovers of paranormal thriller-dramas.

My rating for this book: 4 stars

View all my reviews

Book and Author Spotlights