Tuesday, 2 December 2014

Book Review -- Blades of Magic by Terah Edun


Blades of Magic (Crown Service, #1)Blades of Magic by Terah Edun
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A digital audio version of this book was provided to me in exchange for an honest review.

Audio books are usually not my cup of coffee - literally. I always claim that there's something amiss in not being able to curl up with the book, when having it narrated to you instead. This book made me take back my words completely. With a fabulous narration by Sylvia Roldn Dohl, the book is a brilliant treat. I had heard from fellow reviewers and book lovers that a good narrator is key to a successful audiobook. After listening to Dohl's expressive narration, I so agree! I'm eagerly looking forward to listening to another one by her.

The story revolves around young Sara Fairchild, eager to prove to the world and herself, that she is capable of becoming a warrior. But fate thinks otherwise, and she is forced to take up a job at a fishery. When Sara is assigned by the fishery owner an additional task of having to watch over his warehouse of special artifacts, she is left to travel through a maze of unraveling mysteries. The journey also takes her through getting to know about her dad's death and what he did. The characterisation is handled well - be it Sara's self-discovery through her journey and the different emotions she goes through, or Ezekiel's mild eccentricities, the characters linger on in the mind. The pace of the book is just right, of course aided by Dohl's soulful voice.

I would highly recommend this book to lovers of fantasy and adventure genres.

My rating for this book: 4 stars





View all my reviews

Book and Author Spotlights