Monday, 3 November 2014

Author Promo -- Angela Carina Barry -- Interview




  • How does a typical book get written in your world - what do you start with? 

    A:  There’s usually a nugget of an idea that sounds good and gets expanded upon with some “what if” questions.  Then I start figuring out who would fit the story.  Occasionally, a character will show up first and order up their story.  Some of my books or stories are reactionary to events in the world or in my personal life.  They don’t usually play a large role, but tapping into some real reactions to events can ground the story nicely so that even fantastical elements feel real.

  • How would you compare the protagonists of your books with yourself?

A:  I think there is a little shard of one’s self in most all the characters a writer creates.  It isn’t a large piece, but it is there.  Sometimes it is just a phrase from a conversation or an emotion from a specific event on a specific day, such as a birthday, and that becomes the seed from which a character grows.  Other times you don’t know what it is, but the characters we write are a sum total of our life experiences and what we’ve read, seen, and heard about.  That’s why reading, seeing films, and meeting people from all walks of life is important.  Those things will enrich your characters in the long run.

  • How would you typically choose the names of your characters? 

A:  Honestly, I choose names based on the character’s traits most of the time!  I have a number of baby name books and also use the baby name sites online, as well as some dealing with figures in mythology.  Occasionally I will give a nod to someone I know if their name works okay in a story.  I make no promises on how things will turn out for the character though!  

  • What's that one Classic work that you wish had been written by you? 

A:  If I can pick anything, it would be “The Raven” although almost anything by Poe is fantastic.  Otherwise, anything by Lord Dunsany as his descriptions are as beautiful as they are fantastical.
 
  • How would you deal with reviews? 

A:  Anyone who leaves you a review has done you a favor, even the bad reviews.  It means you moved someone enough emotionally that they feel the need to say something about your work.  If the reviewer has any solid points of criticism, you can apply them.  If they do not, then it is best to ignore them.  Good reviews are easy to take, bad ones can be hard, but realize, it’s an opinion and everyone is entitled to theirs.  If you have more positive reviews than negative, you are on the right track.

  • What's your favourite writing location? 

Currently, I usually like my office.  I got a laptop so I could do the whole coffee house thing and have an easier time recording research from the library, but I haven’t had much chance to put that into action.  Although I will scribble things down in notebooks wherever I am, my office reigns supreme for my favorite writing niche.

  • What awesome books and projects are you working in at the moment?

I have a really spicy and scary dark romance/horror romance piece coming out November 26th called “Love at the End of all Things”.   I really love this story and I originally wrote it for a romance competition.  Because it had to stand out from the pack, the book is very edgy.  I describe it as an intense roller-coaster ride, the highs are very high and the lows are nail-bitingly low.  I’ve had a few beta readers afraid to finish it!  It is romance, so rest assured, it pulls back from the full dark of horror–but only just.  It is a romance with teeth!

I am about a chapter away from finishing my new book Paladin’s Honor, which should be out early next year.  This one is the first of a trilogy involving Devon, a paladin who fights undead, and Mirabelle, his best friend’s sister who is running with the local thieves guild in the first book.  It’s a much sweeter fantasy romance, but I like to say, “I started in horror and it bleeds into everything”.  So you can expect some intense battles to come into play.  This is a great story, but it has a scene in the first half that was incredibly hard to write.  I would give a trigger warning to some of your readers because of it.  I knew the scene in question would be in the story, but writing that part wasn’t the worst.  The worst was the characters’ reactions to it.  They don’t really understand the situation, but as the author, I did and I couldn’t do anything about it.  I couldn’t give them my knowledge, nor could I avoid it as it is important to the plot.  This was the first time the omnipotent view of the author worked against me.  However, the turn of the story is surprising and goes against modern day notions of romance.  The whole thing grows and blossoms into a wonderful love story by the end.  I am really looking forward to spending more time with these two characters!  

Book and Author Spotlights